The dry chili jackfruit is an Indo-Chinese delicacy using unripe jackfruit pieces. The dish yields spicy and mildly sweet – full of freaking flavors. Best as a starter or appetizer.
Jackfruit is an exotic fruit in tropical regions of the world. It has a spiky outer skin and is green (unripe) or yellow (ripe) in color. One unique aspect of jackfruit is its unusually large size and also this is the largest tree fruit in the world. This makes an excellent meat alternative in vegetarian and vegan recipes due to its texture, which is comparable to shredded meat. The particular season of jackfruit is during the summer. The consumed part of jackfruit is the flesh and the seed which are edible both when ripe and unripe. For sweet as well as savory dishes this suits great. Also, jackfruits are high in nutrients and antioxidants and have a number of health benefits including improved blood sugar control, reduced risk of heart disease, reduced risk of viral infections, etc.
Among all the varieties of dishes prepared using jackfruits, today I have come up with an Indo-Chinese version of Jackfruits as Dry Chili Jackfruit.
Dry Chili Jackfruit –
This is almost similar to any Indo-Chinese chili recipe, prepared with raw jackfruit pieces. I have prepared this chili variation as a dry one without any gravy. The key ingredient here is the shallow fried jackfruit pieces.
These can be deep-fried too 😉 But before shallow frying, first the raw jackfruit pieces are cooked a bit till soft, coated with a batter which is neither thin nor thick consistency, and then shallow fried.
Then the fried jackfruits toss in a sauce consisting of finely chopped ginger, finely chopped garlic, soy sauce, tomato sauce, chili sauce, sugar, onion, and capsicum cubes.
The whole dish overall gives a sweet and spicy flavor. This dry chili jackfruit can serve as a starter or appetizer. Also, this tastes ideal when served along with fried rice or noodles or plain roti too.
If you like this Dry Chili Jackfruit, then do check some more JACKFRUIT based recipes –
- Kerala Jackfruit Curry
- Panasa Katha Muga Dalma | Jackfruits with Moong Dal
- Kathal Dum Biryani | Raw Jack fruit Biryani
📖 RECIPE CARD
Dry Chilli Jackfruit
- 2 cup Jack fruit (chopped and deseed)
- 4 tbsp Maida (all purpose flour)
- 2 tbsp Corn flour
- ¼ tsp Ginger garlic paste
- ½ cup Onion (1 inch cube)
- ¼ cup Capsicum (1 inch cube)
- 2 no. Green chili
- 1 tsp Garlic (finely chopped)
- ½ tsp Ginger (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp Spring onion (chopped)
- ¼ tsp Red chili powder
- ¼ tsp Black pepper powder
- 2 tbsp Tomato sauce
- 1 tsp Chili sauce
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- ¼ tsp Sugar
- Oil as needed
- Salt as needed
- Water as needed
- First in a deep non-stick pan, heat enough water.
- Add the chopped jack fruit, salt and cook over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or till jack fruit pieces turn a bit soft. Do not over cook, the pieces should cook till soft.
- Drain the water using a strainer and transfer the jack fruits into a plate. Keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl take maida, corn flour, ginger-garlic paste, red chili powder and salt.
- Add water and make a smooth lump free batter which will be neither thick nor thin consistency!
- Add jackfruit pieces and mix gently so that these are coated well with the batter. Keep aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Now in a pan heat oil and shallow fry these coated jackfruit pieces, tossing in between.
- Fry till the jackfruits turn golden and crisp. Transfer to a plate and keep aside.
- Now into the same pan, add oil and turn on heat.
- Add the finely chopped garlic and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the finely chopped ginger and saute on high for a few more seconds.
- Next add onion cubes, capsicum cubes and stir fry for 2-3 minutes over high heat.
- Then add shallow fried jackfruit pieces and mix everything well.
- Now add tomato sauce, chili sauce, soy sauce, pepper powder, sugar and salt.
- Saute over high heat till everything incorporated well.
- Sprinkle some chopped spring onions and give a quick mix.
- Turn off heat and serve hot along with roti or fried rice or noodles !
- Do not overcook the raw jackfruit pieces, the pieces should cook till soft.
- Adjust spiciness as desired
- The jackfruit pieces can be deep-fried too instead of shallow fried
You may also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram and can subscribe for free to get new recipes directly into your inbox 😊
Wow .. looks nice and spicy . I have actually never tried cooking jackfruit.
I am drooling. Dry chilli jackfruit looks super tempting. I can feel the taste. Lovely share.
Wow. love the new avatar of jackfruit
Fabulous idea, Sasmita. A great way to introduce jackfruit curries to people who have never tasted raw jackfruit.
Looks so delicious and tempting, great treat for vegetarians and even non-vegetarians alike.
I like jackfruit and making it an Indo-Chinese dish is a wonderful idea.
Wow! I love jackfruit..the dish sounds not only great, but this is looking very delicious Sasmita.
I always have a couple of cans of jackfruit in my pantry; must try this delicious dish soon!! Awesome dear 🙂 🙂
That's very interesting! It does look like shredded meat actually. I've never seen jackfruit in my city, wonder what the raw fruit really taste like?
Being a south indian, 2 fruits that dominate my kitchen scene during summers are mangoes and jackfruits and thank god for these, one can just survive on them and not get dehydrated or lose energy. Love your version of turning the jackfruits into a spicy chinese treat. Usually kathal or jackfruit is always made into a sabzi or a gravy dish. Great share.
I love jackfruit recipes…I can finish this bowl of spicy chilli jackfruit in no time…I can imagine the taste…Delicious share!!
I have never tasted jackfruit, but since I am seeing so may recipes on the blogs, I'm tempted. Bowl of chilli jackfruit sounds delicious!
It's a new recipe for me. Something I could try. Lovely share👍
Bookmarking. Now I wish I can source raw jackfruit as we have started getting the ripe ones here. I love it.
Wow jackfruit chilli, sounds like an interesting idea. Must have tasted as good as any other paneer or non veg chilli.
Chinese way of Jack fruit? Mind blowing…the chili looks delicious and served as in restaurants
Looks lip smacking. didn't know when can make an indo chinese dish out of it. quite an innovative recipe
Chilli jackfruit sounds amazing Sasmita.The pics are so tempting that i can have a bowl of chilli jackfruit right away.
An amazing delicious looking dish. I'm not a fan of jackfruit, but I would definitely enjoy this dish. Looks so crunchy.
Sasmita this recipe is so innovative! I love it! Never had jackfruit Chinese style before. Your photos are tempting m e to make it soon.
I've only ever had jackfruit once at a Sri Lankan restaurant. But now this looks so good I definitely plan on trying it soon.
Dry chilli jackfruit sound very innovative and super tempting recipe. Never thought of using jackfruit in this way, really liked this one. Surely will try this yummy recipe..
These look so delicious and a unique take with jack fruit. I love jackfruits but never tried it this way.
Wos sashmita, that is really an exotic chinese dish!! sounds very interesting and definitely delicious!!!
Never made jackfruit in Chinese style. sounds good to try.
Absolutely love this version of of dry chilli jackfruit. I must make some this season and since we do get tender jackfruit now I will make some. Thanks.
Making raw jackfruit in Indo Chinese style, now that is an absolutely brilliant idea. What a wonderful starter or snack dish.
Dry chilli jackfruit looks so delicious. This is an interesting recipe with jackfruit, I wish I could get that plate to taste a few.
The chilli jackfruit looks fantastic. I love how crunchy they look yet delightful in taste.
Chilli jackfruit is such a beautiful fusion in the Chinese avatar. I have never liked raw jackfruit as such but these clicks on this post is actually making me to want for a hot bowl of this tangy, spicy and mildly sweet chilli jackfruit
Chilli jackfruit sounds amazing Sasmita. Would love to try this exotic recipe .The pics are so tempting that i can have a bowl of chilli jackfruit right away.
the indo chinese take on raw jackfruit must be really tasty. am yet to try any raw jackfruit recipe, this looks tasty