Rice is a staple diet for most of India. One of the most versatile ingredient, it can be cooked as an entree, mains or a dessert. Interestingly, rice is the most important food crop of India too. Rice is one ingredient which can proudly claim to belong to every cuisine, isn’t it ? yes, true it is 😊
As the summer is here, so no-one feel free to spend much time in kitchen area of the house particularly. And during those time, the one-pot meal comes to an rescue and also love by all age group. So much flavorful and so quickly one can prepare these kind of dishes. Well, achari vegetable pulao is a such kind of one pot meal option.
Basically this is a pulao with any desired vegetables, but the flavoring factor here is the main interesting one. The masala which plays the vital role in Indian pickle preparation is used here in the pulao. I always prefer to make this type of pickle masala powder fresh, but one can surely make in a big batch and store in air tight container for later use. Completely Vegan & Gluten free dish is this. It tastes bit spicy which can be adjustable as desired but much delicious. One can surely enjoy this one-pot meal along with some raita or any curry or simply as it is. So do try !
Recipe Card for ‘Achari Vegetable Pulao‘ :
Pickle, achar, pulao, pilaf, vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, brunch option,
Pilaf, one pot meal, vegan, gluten free, Pickle
Achari Vegetable Pulao
a delicious vegetarian pilaf flavored with pickle spice powder
prep time: 30 Mcook time: 25 Mtotal time: 55 M
Achari Masala Powder
- Mustard seed 2 tsp
- Coriander seed 1 tbsp
- Cumin seed 2 tsp
- Fenugreek seed 1/2 tsp
- Nigella seed (kalonji) 1 tsp
- Fennel seed 2 tbsp
- Whole red chili 3-4 no.
- Basmati rice 1 cup
- Carrot (chopped) 1/2 cup
- Green peas 1/2 cup
- Sweet corn 1/2 cup
- Onion (thinly sliced) 1 no.
- Ginger-garlic paste 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seed 1 tsp
- Bay leaf 1 no.
- Green cardamom 2 no.
- Star anise 1 no.
- Lemon juice 1/2 tbsp
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Salt as needed
- Water as needed
How to cook Achari Vegetable Pulao
- Wash the rice well and then soak in water for 30 minutes.
- Then in a pan take all the ingredients mentioned under achari masala powder and dry roast.
- Transfer to a plate and allow to cool down.
- In a grinder jar, put all those dry roasted ingredients and grind to a fine powder.
- Keep aside.
- Now heat oil in a kadhai / wok.
- Add cumin seed, bay leaf, green cardamom, star anise and allow to crackle and fragrant.
- Then add thinly sliced onion and saute till transparent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and fry until raw smell goes off.
- Add turmeric powder, garam masala powder, red chili powder, the grounded masala, salt along with all the vegetables.
- Mix everything well and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add soaked rice and mix well.
- Pour 2 cup water and gently give a stir.
- Cover and allow to cook till rice is well done.
- Turn off heat.
- Add lemon juice and gently mix.
- Serve hot as it is or with some raita !
Any other vegetables can be added, I have just restricted here with sweet corn, green peas and carrot.
If you tried my recipe and enjoyed fully, then please share some pictures of your creation with me. Also kindly rate the recipe below, give your valuable feedback either in the comment box below or tag me as @firsttimercook on Instagram.
PIN for later :
This ‘Achari Vegetable Pulao‘ is contributed for 68th Healthy Wellthy Cuisines where the theme is ‘Rice Khazana at HW‘. Here are more similar recipes shared by our Healthy Wealthy Group members as Mumbai street style Tawa Pulao by Geetanjali, Lemon Rice by Swaty, Tripal Schezwan Fried Rice by Ruchi, Red and Yellow Bell Pepper Pilaf by Jayashree, Puliyodharai by VanithaBabycorn Pulao by Poonam.