much healthy and nutritious soupy kind side dish loaded with assorted vegetables and a flavorful tempering.
can be prepared in both way : with onion and garlic, without onion and garlic.
📖 RECIPE CARD
- Kadhai / Wok
- Tadka Pan
- ¾ cup Potato (cut lengthwise)
- ½ cup Papaya (cut lengthwise)
- ½ cup Pumpkin (cut lengthwise)
- ½ cup Eggplant (cut lengthwise)
- ½ cup Drumstick (cut lengthwise)
- ½ cup Colocassia (cut lengthwise)
- ½ cup Pointed gourd (cut lengthwise)
- ½ cup Spine gourd (cut lengthwise)
- ½ cup Ridge gourd (cut lengthwise)
- ½ tbsp Pancha phutana
- ½ no. Onion (medium) (chopped)
- 4-5 no. Garlic clove (crushed)
- 2-3 no. Red chili
- 2-3 no. Green chili
- 1 tsp Mustard oil
- 1 pinch Turmeric powder (optional)
- Salt as needed
- 2 cup Water + little more
- In a kadhai / wok take water along with salt, turmeric powder and start boiling.
- Into that add potato, papaya, pumpkin, colocassia and allow to cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes first.
- Then add rest vegetables, give a nice mix.
- Cover the kadhai and allow to boil till all the vegetables are well cooked, but not overcooked .
- Meanwhile, heat mustard oil in a tadka pan.
- Add pancha phutana and allow to splutter over low-medium heat.
- Then add chopped onion, crushed garlic cloves along with red chilies and green chilies.
- Saute everything till onion turns translucent.
- Pour the tempering over the cooked vegetables and gently give a mix.
- Allow to cook for 1 minute more over medium heat.
- Turn off heat and serve hot with some roti or even steamed rice !
- Do not boil the vegetables till overcooked. Else the entire dish will be mushy at the end.
- As the name says, this santula has some liquid in it hence the name is Pani Santula. So always keep an eye while boiling the vegetables, if there is a shortage of liquid then add a little more water.
- Vegetables can be picked as per choice.
- Turmeric powder is not added in an authentic way. But I like to add at least 1 pinch into my version of pani santula as mentioned in the ingredients list.