crispy golden brown thin onion slices perfect for biryani, pulao, korma etc.
No biryani is flavorful without the birista / beresta ! Have you noticed the flavor that we get by using this simple fried ones. Birista or beresta aka fried onion slices are the much needed ones in making biryani, korma, pulao. Not only these dishes, any simple dish can be looked much attractive and tasted much better by the addition of these fried onions.
These are easily available in super markets, but usually those are deep fried. I have here come up with how to make those crispy and golden brown thin onion slices in shallow frying way. And plus point is, we can freeze them keeping in an air tight container to use for a long time. Doesn’t sound good ! I know, no one can say NO 😉
Well, the onions are first thinly sliced and each layers are separated. Then over low-medium heat, those are shallow fried till golden brown in color from all over. After that transferred to a plate layered with absorbent paper. Next kept aside to cool down completely and after cooled down, those become much crispy in texture. In an airtight container, keep these birista and freeze to use for a long time. These stay fresh and crisp ! The oil after frying the onions if remains, then that can be used in making any curries, even in biryani also. So don’t discard that oil.
Few points to keep in mind :
- Make thin slices of onions and try to keep almost of same thickness. This results into quick and even cooking.
- Do not fry the onions on high heat. Otherwise, the onions may turn darker and lose the flavor which is actually required.
- After frying spread the fried onions on a tissue paper to absorb extra oils.
- After cooling down, the fried onions become much crispy, so do this step completely.
- Always fry the onion slices in batches to cook evenly without crowding the pan.
So let’s go through how to make perfect birista at home 👇
Video procedure of this “Salted Mint Lassi / Namkeen Lassi” :
: Recipe Card :
Birista / Beresta / Crispy Fried Onions
Prep time: 10 MCook time: 20 MTotal time: 30 M
crisp golden brown thin onion slices perfect for biryani, pulao, korma etc.
- Onion (large size) 3-4 no.
- Oil 4-5 tbsp
How to cook Birista / Beresta / Crispy Fried Onions
- Wash and peel the skin of all the onions.
- Cut into thin slices, keeping in mind to have almost of same thickness.
- Heat oil in a frying pan till hot and then reduce to low-medium heat.
- Put half of the onion slices onto the hot oil gently.
- Continue to stir and fry the slices until crisp in texture and golden brown in color.
- Transfer them to a plate lined with tissue paper and allow to cool.
- Similarly fry the rest onion slices and transfer to the plate.
- When completely cooled down, freeze these crispy fried onions in an airtight container and use whenever needed !
Do not fry the onions on high heat. Otherwise, the onions may turn darker and lose the flavor which is actually required.
Always fry the onion slices in batches to cook evenly without crowding the pan.
The oil after frying the onions if remains, then that can be used in making any curries, even in biryani also.
Crisp FRied onions, Beresta
Vegan, Gluten free, Birista, Fried onions
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @firsttimercook on instagram and hashtag it #firsttimercook
The event related to this post :
And this post is also related to Foodies Redoing Old Posts which is initiated by one of my fellow blogger Renu. The basic funda of this is to redo our old posts which need changes in picture, writings etc to get boost. Here I have modified both the text as well as pictures.
PIN for later :