This is a lightly spiced and delicious Indian curry using the winter vegetable, Cauliflower (gobi), and Potato. With chapati, naan, or rice this curry pairs pretty well.
Aloo Gobi Masala | Cauliflower Potato Curry
- 1 no. Whole head cauliflower
- 1 no. Potato (large)
- 1 no. Onion (large) (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 1 no. Tomato (medium)
- 5-6 no. Cashew (soaked)
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1½ tsp Coriander powder
- ½ tsp Cumin seed
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaf (finely chopped)
- 1 no. Bay leaf
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 no. Cardamom pod
- 3 tbsp Oil
- Water as needed
- Salt as needed
- First cut the whole cauliflower head into medium florets and the potato into wedges.
- Rinse both cauliflower and potato well and keep aside.
- Make a fine paste of roughly chopped tomatoes and soaked cashews. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add first the cauliflower florets to the oil and saute over a low-medium heat till light brown spots appears overall the florets.
- Remove the sauted cauliflowers to a plate and into the remaining oil (if no oil is left, add little oil) add the potato wedges.
- Saute till slightly brown from all the sides, remove to the plate and keep aside.
- Into the same pan, add rest oil.
- When oil is hot, add the bay leaf along with cinnamon stick, cardamom and cumin seeds.
- After few seconds, the seeds will start to splutter.
- Add finely chopped onion and saute till translucent.
- Then add the ginger-garlic paste and saute for a few seconds till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
- Add the tomato-cashew paste and stir a bit.
- After that add all the spice powders and cook till the oil starts to leave the sides of the masala, stirring in between.
- Then add all the potatoes, mix well and pour water as per the consistency needed in the curry (approximately 3/4 -1 cup). Mix well.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Now add the florets, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or till well cooked.
- Turn off the heat and sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves on top.
- Serve the Aloo Gobi Masala hot with chapati, naan or rice !
- Adjust the spiciness as desired.
- The amount of water depends upon the consistency of the curry needed. And also this depends upon the cauliflower cooking time. So accordingly add.