In the aloo chane ka saag, some potato cubes are cooked along with some young chickpea leaves (chane ka saag) to get a delicious side dish with a fragrant aroma, full of nutrients.
I just love wintertime as during these lots of leafy greens we get in the local market. Spinach, Fenugreek leaves, Mustard leaves, Chickpea leaves, there are lots of healthy choices and that too these are so fresh and organically harvested. This weekend when I was going by the near local market, these Chana Saag are the eye-catcher for me, as I always search for fresh leafy greens all the time.
Chickpea Greens aka Chane ke Saag-
Chickpea is generally considered as a lentil. Being a good source of protein and other essential human nutrients, have you imagined that we can eat the leaves of this? Well, yes, one can eat the young chickpea leaves like other leafy greens. Chickpeas leaves have a number of possible health benefits for us. It Contains Vitamin K, Zinc, Magnesium, Iron, Potassium & vitamin B-6 also. So we can say that it is good for bone health, diabetes, Heart disease, Cholesterol & also good for Cancer patients.
Well as I got these leaves, so here is my dish with those as Aloo Chane ka Saag.
Aloo Chane ke Saag !
As the name said, the dish includes some potato aka aloo (small cubes) and the Chickpea leaves aka chane ka saag. The dish is completely Vegan and Gluten-free.
This is a healthy and nutritious winter delicacy. With some steamed rice and dal frame, this aloo chane ka saag fits perfectly.
Preparation details of aloo chane ka saag-
Making this aloo chane ka saag recipe is super easy. And it is just the preparation part (cleaning the saag) that takes time. Most of the time I clean the saag (any saag) one day before and keep them in the fridge in an airtight cotton bag or even container. So half of the work is over by this. Then the next day, it is much easy to prepare the saag.
Here first clean the chickpea greens carefully and collect them in a colander. Wash them under running water completely. Set aside to drain and then finely chop them.
Now heat mustard oil in a kadhai/wok. Add the whole red chilies, gently pressed garlic cloves, and saute for a few seconds. Then put the mustard seeds and allow them to splutter. After that add the potato cubes and saute till sightly brown from all the sides.
Now add the chopped chane ka saag along with salt and a pinch of turmeric powder. Mix well and cover till the potatoes are 80% cooked. Take out the cover and fry the saag for some time. Finally, turn off the heat and the aloo chane ka saag is ready to serve hot.
And, yes !!! If you like the recipe shared here and give it a try at your place then do share in INSTAGRAM by tagging #firsttimercook. I would be so happy to see and surely share in my INSTA stories 😊😊
📖 RECIPE CARD
Aloo Chane ka Saag
- 2 bunch Chickpea green (chane ka saag)
- 1 no. Potato (1/2 inch cube) (big)
- 3-4 no. Garlic clove
- 2 no. Whole red chili
- ½ tsp Mustard seed
- 1 pinch Turmeric powder
- Salt as needed
- ½ tbsp Mustard oil
- Clean the chickpea greens carefully and just take out the delicate leaves.
- Collect in a colander and wash under running water completly.
- Set aside to drain and then finely chop them.
- Now heat mustard oil in a kadhai / wok.
- Add the whole red chilies, gently pressed garlic cloves and saute for few seconds.
- Then put the mustard seeds and allow to splutter.
- After that add the potato cubes and saute till sightly brown from all the sides.
- Now add the chopped chane ka saag along with salt and pinch of turmeric powder.
- Mix well and cover till the potatoes are 80% cooked.
- Take out the cover and fry the saag for some time.
- Finally turn off the heat and serve hot with steamed rice dal combo.
- I have not added onion here. But some chopped onion one can add along with garlic cloves.
- Mustard oil gives a nice flavor to any saag. Else any other oil can be picked.