Indian Cottage Cheese cubes cooked in onion-tomato gravy along with a special masala powder- Kadai Masala Powder
Who does not like restaurant dishes !! This kadai paneer is one of those lists, which most of the Indians order in a restaurant.
What is Kadai here?
Kadhai is basically an Indian pan that is used regularly in everyday cooking. The pan looks like a wok, with or without a handle.
As the paneer dish is prepared using this pan and also got a unique flavor from a special masala powder (Kadai Masala Powder) so the name is Kadai Paneer.
Kadai Paneer can be of two varieties –
- Semi-dry – This goes perfect for naan, lachha paratha, poori, etc. The paneer cubes are well coated with masala paste. At my place, this is a hit always.
- Gravy – This goes perfect for steamed rice and even for chapati, naan, etc. The paneer cubes are dunked in the masala.
And, yes !!!
If you like the recipe shared here and give it a try at your place then do share in INSTAGRAM by tagging #firsttimercook. I would be so happy to see and surely share in my INSTA stories 😊😊
- 500 gm Paneer (1 inch cubes)
- 1 cup Capsicum (cubes)
- 1¼ cup Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- ½ cup Tomato puree
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 2 tbsp Kadai masala powder
- 1 no. Bay leaf
- ½ tsp Cumin seed
- 1 tsp Kasoori methi
- 3 tbsp Oil
- Water as needed
- Salt as needed
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan over medium heat.
- Add bay leaf and cumin seeds, allow to splutter.
- Next add chopped onions and saute till translucent.
- Now, add the ginger-garic paste and saute till raw smell completely disappears.
- After that add the tomatoe puree, saute until everything begins to turn mushy.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, kadai masala powder and give a quick mix.
- Saute until the whole masala paste is nicely roasted and oil begins to leave the sides of the pan.
- Next, add the paneer cubes along with capsicum cubes and mix everything gently.
- Now pour 1/4 cup water and give a quick stir, but gently.Cover the pan and allow the kadhi paneer to cook for 4-5 mins over medium heat.
- Turn off the heat and sprinkle crushed kasoori methi.
- Serve hot as a side dish with rice or lachha paratha !
- Along with capsicum cubes, few onion cubes can be added.
- Adjust the spiciness as desired.
- We like the kadai paneer a little dry, so I add 1/4 cup water. else add 1/2 cup water to get little gravy in the kadai paneer.
You may also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram and can subscribe for free to get new recipes directly into your inbox 😊