a simple and comfort rice dish using raw mangoes; perfect choice for a light lunch, tiffin box.
Mangoes are found in abundance only in the summer season. It is a well-liked fruit and hence is also known as the ‘King of fruits’. Mangoes are also rich in nutrients like vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. And this fruit is my most favorite fruit. In both raw as well as in ripe stage, mango is loved by most. When it comes to cook mangoes, then there is an array of dishes one can make using either raw or ripe ones.
Raw mangoes are in season now and can be grated, pickled, added to curries or simply made into a chutney. Today’s post is a rice dish using raw mangoes as Raw Mango Rice. It has also a different name as Mavinkai Chitranna in Maharashtra. Here the tartness of the raw mango is well paired with the wholesomeness of rice.
One can say it is much similar to lemon rice. In both the cases, the preparation method is same, only the tangy factor varies. In raw mango rice, raw mango gives the tanginess and in lemon rice, lemon plays that factor.
Hope YOU will LIKE THIS Rice using RAW Mango 😊! WHY NOT TRY THESE 👇 AS WELL :
- Meetha Amba Khatta | Raw Mango Relish (sweet version)
- Aam Kasundi | Mango Mustard Sauce
- Amba Nimba Jhola | Mango Neem Bud Curry
- Kairi ka Raita | Raw Mango Raita | Kancha Amba Pachadi
- Aam Panna / Raw Mango Drink
- Sun-dried Raw Mango Raita | Ambula Rai
- Aam ka Chunda | Chundo (Gujurati Sweet Mango Pickle)
The Ingredients for the Raw Mango Rice :
- Raw mango is the star ingredient in this dish. One can use it either in grated or shredded form.
- The rice is usually cooked before hand. That can be cooked separately, added to the tempering or some leftover rice also fits to make the dish here.
- For slight crunchiness urad dal, chana dal, cashew, peanuts are used. I have not used urad dal and peanuts here.
- For tempering, mustard seeds along with green chili, red chili and curry leaves are opted.
- One can add some grated fresh coconut. I have omitted.
- For a lovely color of the rice, little amount of turmeric powder is added.
- Salt is added as per taste to slightly balance the tanginess of mango.
- Oil is used to fry everything.
How to prepare this easy raw mango rice ?
This raw mango rice can be prepared using the cooked rice or even with some leftover rice. Basically the rice is simply mixed with the tempering part and the dish becomes ready to serve. In the tempering part few cashews, peanuts (i have skipped), chana dal, urad dal (i have skipped) are first fried. Then mustard seeds, green chilies, whole red chilies are added and fried along with that till the dal looks light brown in color. Then curry leaves and turmeric powder is added and mixed over low heat. After that grated raw mangoes, salt are mixed up with the tempering in the pan. The whole thing is allowed to cook for 1-2 minutes. Finally the cooked rice is added (also mix grated coconut along with rice if opted to add) and mixed very well, but gently without breaking the rice grains.
Why one should make this ?
- so easy and simple dish during hot summer days
- Vegan as well as Gluten free dish
- perfect choice for a light lunch, tiffin box
- comfort rice dish
- Low oil recipe
Serving suggestion :
This is a completely vegan and gluten free dish. Along with papad, pickle or any raita this rice dish pairs well. So basically if the cooked rice is ready or if there is some leftover rice, then it will be ready within 10 minutes. Super easy and quick recipe it is, perfect to have when there is no mood to cook an elaborate meal particularly in the summer hot days. This is much perfect choice for a light lunch, tiffin box etc. Any age group will love to have this simple and comfort rice dish using raw mangoes. Do make soon this either using cooked rice / some leftover rice as the raw mangoes are in season right now 😊
Now let’s go through how to make Raw Mango Rice at home 👇
Video procedure of this “Raw Mango Rice” :
: Recipe Card :
Raw Mango Rice (Vegan & Gluten free)
Prep time: 15 MCook time: 10 MTotal time: 25 M
a simple and comfortable rice dish using raw mangoes; perfect choice for a light lunch, tiffin box.
- Cooked rice 2 cup
- Raw mango (grated) 3/4 cup
- Cashew 8-9 no.
- Chana dal (split Bengal gram) 1.5 tbsp
- Curry leaf 1 sprig
- Green chili 2-3 no.
- Red chili 1 no.
- Mustard seed 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Salt as needed
- Oil 2 tsp
- Heat oil in a pan over low – medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds followed by cashews, chana dal.
- Stir and fry for few seconds.
- Add green chilies, whole red chili and fry till dal looks light brown in color, stirring constantly.
- Next add curry leaves and fry a bit.
- Add turmeric powder and mix.
- Add the grated mangoes and mix again along with salt.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Lower the heat and add the cooked rice.
- Mix everything very well, but gently without breaking the rice grains.
- Turn off heat and serve hot with papad, pickle or any raita !
If the mangoes are not tangy, then add 1 cup grated mango instead of 3/4 cup.
Peanuts can be used along with / instead of cashews here.
Adjust spiciness as desired by adding more or less chili.
Don’t burn the lentils, so keep the heat over low – medium heat.
Few urad dal also can be added here, I was run out of that so skipped.
Fork can be used to mix the cooked rice.
Lunch idea, tiffin box recipe, vegetarian dish, Low oil recipe, chana dal, mustard seed, grated raw mango, raw mango rice, Kairi Bhat
Vegan, Gluten-free, Rice dish, raw mango
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @firsttimercook on instagram and hashtag it #firsttimercook
PIN for later :