Plain Upma is a traditional south Indian breakfast recipe made from semolina. It has very light and fluffy texture and normally served with any type of pickle / chutney. It is a great breakfast option if you are in a hurry and don’t have much time to cut vegetables. In addition with veggies, it’ll turn to vegetable upma. So simple & easy recipe it is and can be made quickly with some of most easily available ingredients. It can be served as breakfast / snack as well.
Below is the step by step method of preparation to make a healthy plain upma.
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins
|Semolina (suji)||1 cup|
|Mustard seeds||1 tsp|
|Urad dal||1 tsp|
|Channa dal||1 tsp|
|Cumin seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Green chilies||as needed|
|Curry leaves||1 spring|
|Onion (medium)||1 no.|
|Ginger (chopped)||1/2 tsp|
|Water||2 & 1/2 cup|
- Chop 1 medium sized onion, green chilies & keep aside.
- Heat a pan, dry roast the semolina till it turns golden brown or get the aroma & keep aside.
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan. Reduce the flame to low & add mustard seeds. Then add channa dal, urad dal and cumin seeds when mustard seeds begin to splutter. Fry till dals turn golden-brown.
- Add chopped green chillies, curry leaves, ginger and chopped onions & fry for 1 minute.
- Now add water to this mixture & then salt as needed. Stir well.
- On a medium to high flame, heat the water and let it come to a rolling boiling. When the water comes to a rolling boil, lower the flame. Then add semolina gradually with one hand and keep stirring with your other hand.
- It will splutter a lot, so be careful. Mix well & the rava grains absorb water and thus swell and get cooked.
- Cover and allow the rava upma to steam for 2 minutes on the low flame.
- Then switch off the flame & the rava upma is ready to serve !
- Do not mix the semolina too many times after adding. The reason is that the upma will become sticky.
- Lemon juice can be used at the end to give a tangy flavor of the upma.
- You can add finely chopped carrots along with onions.
- This is very basic recipe of upma. If any vegetables are added, then it becomesvegetable upma.