a healthy twist to one of the most Indian’s favorite snack, Samosa
For stuffing :
- 3 no. Potato (boiled) (medium)
- ½ cup Green pea (boiled)
- 1 no. Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Garlic (crushed)
- ½ inch Ginger (grated)
- 1 tbsp Green chili (chopped)
- ½ tsp Cumin seed
- ½ tsp Coriander seed
- ½ tsp Garam masala powder
- ½ tbsp Oil
- Salt as needed
For outer crust :
- ½ cup All purpose flour
- ½ cup Wheat flour
- 1 tsp Carom seed
- Salt as needed
- Water for kneading
- 2 tbsp Oil + for greasing
Stuffing preparation :
- In a pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds, coriander seeds and allow to splutter.
- After that add chopped onion and saute till translucent.
- Next add crushed garlic and grated ginger. Saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped green chilies followed by boiled potatoes and green peas.
- Mix everything well and cook for 2-3 minutes over low heat.
- Finally add garam masala powder and mix again.
- Turn off heat and allow the stuffing to cool down completely.
Outer crust preparation :
- In a mixing bowl take flours along with salt, oil, carom seed (ajwain) and give a quick mix first.
- Then rub the mixture using fingers till there is a crumbly texture.
- Next by adding little water at a time, make a smooth but little stiff dough.
- Keep aside the dough to rest for 15-20 minutes by covering.
Samosa Preparation :
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven at 190 deg C.
- After resting period, knead the dough again for 1 minute.
- Divide the whole dough into 4 parts.
- Take one part and start rolling over a dusted rolling board to make a 6-7 inch oval shape.
- Cut it into two halves (not lengthwise) using a knife.
- Hold one half in palm and grease the straight edge with water either by finger tip or a brush.
- Join the edges to make a cone and press down gently the joint area to seal well using finger tips.
- Now fill the cavity with 1-1.5 tbsp stuffing and gently press down the stuffing inwards.
- After that, grease the inside edges with water by finger tips.
- Bring all the edges together and seal properly.
- Keep on a baking tray lined with parchament paper and cover by a kitchen towel.
- Make similar samosas from the rest dough and stuffing.
- Place all the samosas over the baking tray keeping space in between.
- Brush each samosa with oil and bake for 35-40 minutes at 190 deg C.
- Transfer to serving platter and serve hot with ketchup or masala chai !