Preparation Time : 2 mins | Cooking Time : 30 mins
|Cardamom powder||2 pinch|
- Take a big pan enough to hold the water and sugar together. Add Water and Sugar. Mix well and bring it to a boil. Once it starts boiling, add cardamom powder.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue to boil until it thickens slightly. Dip a spatula in the syrup, lift it out, touch it with the tip of forefinger to pick a drop of syrup.Touch forefinger with thumb and pull apart slowly, to see how many threads / strings are stretched between finger and thumb.
- If the syrup is too light, it won’t make any string at all. Continue simmering.
- If it is showing up 1 string now, then it is calledone string consistency sugar syrup. This is used for sweets where it needs to be absorbed like gulab Jamuns,shahi toast, chumchums, kaju katli, badushah, mysore paketc. Continue simmering.
- If it is showing up 2 strings now, then it is called two string consistency sugar syrup. This is used for sweets which require a sugar coated look like boondi ladoo, shaker pare etc . Continue simmering.
- If it is showing up 3 strings now, then it is called three string consistency sugar syrup. This is used in candy making.
- Once the sugar is dissolved completely , do not keep stirring. Over stirring will affect the right consistency. Keep the flame low and stir if needed.
- Be careful while touching hot syrup with fingers. It is the best way of using a wooden spatula, give it a few seconds to cool before touching.
- Turn heat off as soon as desired threads / strings are reached.
- If the correct stage is missed by mistakely then just switch off the flame, add little water, mix well and proceed again to get the perfect stage.
- It can be preserved in refrigerator for 10-12 days.
- Re-heat before using it as an ingredient in any recipe (1- Use a stove and heat it for 3 mins on high flame 2- Microwave for 2 mins).
- Current measurement yields 2 cup sugar syrup (one string consistency).