so aromatic and flavorful biryani with marinated mushroom in the dum way of cooking.
an ideal vegetarian biryani alternative to the non-meat eaters or for the mushroom lovers
Aromatic and bursting with flavors, Biryani is a wholesome meal one cant deny in India. The authentic flavor of the biryani comes from the blend of fragrant basmati rice, saffron, and whole spices. From the convenience point of view, biryani is a wholesome and delicious one-pot meal that can be served alone or just with some raita, curd, or salad, it does not require any side dish or curry. So, in a way, it is a time-saving and interesting lunch/dinner option that is loved by kids and adults.
Biryani is an exceptionally versatile dish and every place in India has its own unique take and variation on this classic dish. How it arrived in India has a lot of legendary stories. Some say it was an inspired dish from the Middle- East while others say Mumtaz Mahal was responsible for this most amazing royal delicacy.
Over time, the recipe has evolved and at present one can find many variations of the biryani that is influenced by the different regional style like Hyderabadi Biryani, Lucknowi Biryani, Calcutta Biryani, Bombay Biryani, Tehari Biryani, etc.
But, there are two main ways of cooking biryani – the first one is the original Dum Biryani in which the rice and the meat/vegetable is slow-cooked in steam, the second one is a more recent version in which the rice and vegetables are cooked separately and then mixed together in a skillet. one can always make it healthier by reducing the number of spices and oil and incorporating more vegetables into it.
Mushroom Dum Biryani :
As the name said the main ingredients of the biryani here is Mushroom.
This is an easy and simple dum style cooked biriyani recipe made with marinated mushroom slices and long grain rice. It is an ideal vegetarian biryani alternative to the non-meat eaters or for mushroom lover like me.
The mushroom here I have used are Button Mushrooms as they retain their shapes even after cooking and the dish looks pretty good. Any other variety works perfectly too make this biryani.
Secondly, I have not added any vegetables in it excpet just capsicum and onion in cube sizes. However one can still experiment with addition of other veggies like potatoes, carrots and paneer.
Making procedure of this biryani :
The whole process includes 4 parts.
1. Marination of mushroom slices –
Firstly, in a large mixing bowl take yogurt/curd, ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and biryani masala along with some roughly chopped coriander and mint leaves, 1 tsp oil, and 1 tsp salt. Whisk well making sure the spices are well combined. After that add mushroom slices, onion cubes, and capsicum cubes. Mix gently till everything is well coated. Cover the bowl and keep it aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
Also in a small bowl soak saffron strands in milk and keep aside. Wash & clean rice, then soak in a bowl for 10 minutes.
2. Cook the Rice –
First, start boiling water in a deep pan. Into that, add bay leaf, green cardamom, cinnamon stick, star anise, cloves, mace (javitri). When it starts to boiling, add soaked & drained rice along with 1 tsp oil. Give a nice stir and allow to cook the rice till 80% done. Strain and keep aside to cool.
3. Cook the marinated mushroom :
In a pan heat 2 tbsp oil. Fry the cashews and raisins over low heat. Transfer to a plate and keep aside.
Into the same pan with remaining oil, put shah jeera, black cardamom and allow to splutter. Then add sliced onions and saute until turn golden brown. After that, add in marinated mushrooms and saute for 1 minute. Cover the pan and cook till the mushrooms are done.
Take out the cover, saute until the oil separates from the sides and also all the water (released from mushrooms) has reduced. Turn off heat and keep aside.
4. Assemble the mushroom dum biryani –
First, take a deep broad pan and grease with ghee. Put some chopped mint and coriander leaves along with a few birista (crisp fried onions). Then put all the cooked mushrooms in an even layer followed by some more birista. Next, put all the cooked rice and gently spread all over.
Add kewra water/rose water with the soaked saffron and pour over the rice (here and there). Again top with some birista, chopped mint & coriander leaves, 1-2 pinch of biryani masala powder, fried cashews & raisins, and few drops of ghee.
Cover the pan and place over a hot tawa or griddle. Cook for 25-30 minutes over low heat. Turn off heat and gently fluff the biryani. It is ready to serve now!
This Mushroom Dum Biryani is
- Easy and quick to make with simple steps
- a wholesome meal
- loaded with the goodness of Mushroom
- an ideal vegetarian biryani alternative to the non-meat eaters
- perfect for special meals
- completely GLUTEN FREE
- make ahead recipe
Serving suggestions for Mushroom Dum Biryani –
This flavorful and aromatic vegetarian biryani pairs pretty well with any raita like onion raita, boondi raita, mint raita etc.
We love to have this with a simple raita made of cucumber, onion, tomato for a simple soulful meal spread.
Except raita, there are many side dishes for biryani which go very well like mirch ka salan, tikka masala, vegetbale kadhai etc.
It can be served during the weekdays for lunch, for Sunday brunch or even at parties. Also this Mushroom Biryani makes an excellent lunch box idea or even a weeknight dinner.
This Mushroom Biryani will last in the fridge for a good 1-2 days when stored in an airtight container. Just before serving, take out from the refrigeratora and reheat, serve !
Mushroom Dum Biryani
for the marination of mushroom :
- ½ cup Yogurt (curd)
- 2 cup Mushroom (sliced)
- 1 cup Onion (cubed)
- 1 cup Capsicum (cubed)
- 1 tsp Ginger-garlic paste
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Red chili powder
- 2 tbsp Biryani masala powder
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaf (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Mint leaf (chopped)
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
For cooking the Rice :
- 1½ cup Basmati rice (long grain)
- 1 no. Bay leaf
- 2 no. Green cardamom
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 no. Star anise
- 3-4 no. Clove
- 1 no. Mace (javitri)
- Water as needed
- 1 tsp Oil
For the biryani preparation :
- ½ cup Onion (thin sliced)
- 6-7 no. Cashew
- 6-7 no. Raisin
- 1 tsp Shah jeera
- 1 no. Black cardamom
- 3 tbsp Birista (crisp fried onions)
- 1-2 pinch Biryani masala powder
- ½ tsp Saffron
- 3 tbsp Milk
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaf (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Mint leaf (chopped)
- ½ tsp Kewra water / rose water (optional)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Ghee as needed
- First in a small bowl soak saffron starnds in milk and keep aside.
- Wash & clean rice, then soak in a bowl for 20-30 minutes.
- Firstly, in a large bowl take yogurt / curd, ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and biryani masala.
- Also add roughly chopped coriander and mint leaves, 1 tsp oil and 1 tsp salt.
- Whisk well making sure the spices are well combined.
- Next add mushroom slices, onion cubes and capsicum cubes.
- Mix gently till everything is well coated.
- Cover the bowl and keep aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
Cook the Rice :
- Meanwhile start boiling water in a deep pan.
- Into that, add bay leaf, green cardamom, cinnamon stick, star anise, cloves, mace (javitri).
- When it starts to boiling, add soaked & drained rice along with 1 tsp oil.
- Give a nice stir and allow to cook the rice till 80% done.
- Strain and keep aside to cool.
Cook the marinated mushroom :
- In a pan heat 2 tbsp oil.
- Fry the cashews and raisins over low heat.
- Transfer to a plate and keep aside.
- Into the same pan with remaining oil, put shah jeera, black cardamom and allow to splutter.
- Then add sliced onions and saute until turn golden brown.
- After that, add in marinated mushrooms and saute for 1 minute.
- Cover the pan and cook till the mushrooms are done.
- Take out the cover, saute until the oil separates from the sides and also all the water (released from mushrooms) has reduced.
- Turn off heat and keep aside.
Assemble the biryani :
- First take a deep broad pan and grease with ghee.
- Put some chopped mint and coriander leaves along with few birista (crisp fried onions).
- Then put all the cooked mushrooms in even layer followed by some more birista.
- Next put all the cooked rice and gently spread all over.
- Add kewra water / rose water with the soaked saffron and pour over the rice (here and there).
- Again top with some birista, chopped mint & coriander leaves, 1-2 pinch of biryani masala powder, fried cashews & raisins and few drops of ghee.
- Cover the pan and place over a hot tawa or griddle.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes over low heat.
- Turn off heat and gently fluff the biryani.
- Serve along with raita of your choice !
- I have simply topped the mushrooms with rice. One can make few more layers.
- Adjust spiciness (here main spicy factor is the biryani masala powder) according to taste.
- Soak the rice for 20-30 minutes before preparing the biryani, it will result in fluffy and separate rice grains in the biryani.
- Button mushrooms are used here. Any other variety works perfectly too.
- Don’t skip the addition of ghee which gives a rich and delicious taste to the mushroom biryani.
You may also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram and can subscribe for free to get new recipes directly into your inbox 😊
Mushroom dum biryani looks scrumptious. A royal and delicious treat for all Biryani lovers . Loved reading every bit of your write up.I love mushrooms and this is definitely going to be a hit at my place.
I’m absolutely loving the sound of this Mushroom Biryani, fragrant with various whole spices and kewra water. Looks super delicious! Thank you so much for the detailed recipe – I’m definitely going to try this out. 😊
Your Mushroom Biryani looks utterly delicious and irresistible Sasmita! Perfectly cooked and such a gorgeous color ! Wish I could straightaway dig into that platter off the screen.
Wow mushroom dum biryani looks super tempting, like the way mushrooms marinated to prepare this biryani . This is big treat for biryani lovers and will be all time big hit.
OMG. Mushroom dum biryani looks so tempting and love the way it is perfectly cooked. Being a biryani lover, wish I can enjoy it from the screen.