a refreshing Indian drink using creamy yogurt and pulpy tender coconut with crunchy bits of chopped cherries and coconut chips
Wouldn’t it be great if summer drinks promise us health and wellness along with freshness? So, here I am with a refreshing lassi using tender coconut and some healthy coconut chips from BluffSnacks to stay fresh and healthy on scorching hot days!
What is Lassi?
Well, the Lassi is basically a yogurt-based drink that originated in the Indian subcontinent. It is typically a blend of yogurt, water or milk, spices, and sometimes fruit. Lassi tastes either sweet or salty as per the need. A glass of lassi on a hot day keeps us refreshed and hydrated for longer hours and cures summer dehydration problems.
Check some lassi recipes shared already in this blog :
Thandai Lassi | Holi special Yogurt Drink
Kesar Badam Lassi | Saffron-Almond Yogurt Drink (sugar free)
Salted Mint Lassi | Namkeen Lassi
Kiwi Pistachio Lassi | Kiwi Pistachio Yogurt Smoothie
Mint Lassi (Sweet) / Yogurt Mint Smoothie (sweet)
so, next What is Coconut Lassi?
Coconut lassi is a yogurt-based drink and is prepared using yogurt, tender coconut pulp. And the lassi flavor here is enhanced with spices like cardamom, pepper.
One can use coconut milk if tender coconut pulp (fresh / frozen) is not available.
What are the ingredients of the Coconut Lassi here?
Let’s check the main ingredients to make refreshing Coconut Lassi:
- Yogurt – Traditionally plain whole milk yogurt is used to make any lassi. However one can make it with low-fat yogurt too. Greek yogurt will also work fine, but then the lassi would need some extra milk to get the right consistency.
- Honey – This is the sweetener in the lassi here. Adjust as per the sweetness desired.
- Coconut – This recipe calls for tender coconut pulp and tastes great in the lassi. I have used some fresh tender coconut pulp. If that is not available, then simply use coconut milk or even frozen tender coconut pulp.
- Cherry – It is used as toppings here. I have picked some chopped cherries.
- Coconut chips –
Have you ever heard about chips of coconut?
I was totally new to it and for the first time, I tasted the coconut chips from BluffSnacks. When I was approached to receive those goodies from them, I was so curious to taste them.
They have currently launched coconut chips in four different flavors like
- Simply Sweet (coconut + sugar + sea salt),
- Curious Caramel (coconut + coconut sugar + sea salt),
- Pepper Power (coconut + pepper powder (black and white) + cardamom powder + cumin powder + salt ) and
- Slightly Salted (coconut + salt).
The best things about these chips are no synthetic colors, no preservatives, not fried (these are baked) and the best part is one can enjoy it simply as it is or incorporates it with any other dish as I did here 👇
By just simply mixing some chips (I used the Curious Caramel one) with mudhi, the afternoon snack was ready to savor with some hot cup of tea today.
I had shared this in my INSTAGRAM page, you may check out there.
And in this coconut lassi, I have used the Pepper Power Coconut Chips.
- Black salt – used to enhance the overall flavor.
- Spices – Use cardamom powder and pepper powder. I have used the pepper power coconut chips which are already cardamom powder and pepper powder, so didn’t add any spices more. If your chips have no spices, then do add 1 pinch from both cardamom powder and pepper powder.
- Water – Just add to get the desired consistency.
How to make this lassi?
The making process is quite simple and easy.
First blend everything except a few chips and cherries (as toppings).
Then, add water to adjust the consistency.
Finally, put some ice cubes in a serving glass, pour the lassi into it and top with some coconut chips and chopped cherries.
The refreshing coconut lassi is ready to serve immediately!
Can greek yogurt be used to make this Coconut Lassi?
Yes, it can.
Just use 1.5 cups of greek yogurt instead of 2 cups and add more water to adjust the consistency of the lassi.
Can Coconut Lassi be made vegan?
Use coconut yogurt instead of regular or Greek yogurt to make the lassi VEGAN!
- 2 cup Yogurt
- ⅓ cup Coconut pulp (tender)
- ¼ cup Honey
- Cherry (chopped) few
- 2 tbsp Coconut chips
- 1 pinch Black salt
- ½ cup Water
- In a blender jar take yogurt along with tender coconut pulp, sugar, salt, coconut chips (keep aside 2 tsp chips for topping) and blend well.
- Next adjust the consistency of the lassi by adding less or more water and give a nice mix.
- Now take the serving glass, put some ice cubes into it and then pour the lassi.
- Finally top with chopped cherries and rest coconut chips, serve immediately !
- Always use plain whole milk yogurt which is thick and not watery kind.
- The yogurt should not sour kind, so pick always the fresh curd to make the lassi, else the taste will not good with sour yogurt.
- If sweetness is not up to the mark then one can add some more sweetener like sugar or honey. I have added honey here.
- Instead of tender coconut pulp, coconut milk can opt.
Just use 1.5 cups of greek yogurt instead of 2 cups and add more water to adjust the consistency of the lassi. ☑ Can Coconut Lassi be made vegan? Use coconut yogurt instead of regular or Greek yogurt to make the lassi vegan.
You may also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram and can subscribe for free to get new recipes directly into your inbox 😊
Wow this sounds so delicious and refreshing. I can imagine how good the combination of lassi, tender coconut, cherries, and honey will taste. I need to make this today itself. Thankfully I have all the required ingredients in my fridge today.
When I was in US in 2019, the number of packets I’ve emptied of coconut chips, so happy to hear that now we get them in India too. Love them. Love how you’ve made coconut lassi. Definitely a must try recipe for me as I make lassi every day.
Just by mere reading, i started imagining the taste of this Lassi and belive me, it was super delicious. I have cooked with tender coconut earlier and I can well imagine how tasty this Lassi would also be.
This sounds perfect for the heat of the summer. I love tender coconut any day and therefore it is best of worlds for me.
OMG… the sight of Coconut lassi is making me drool Sasmita. I love coconut in any form. This summer heat I would love to have the glass of this delicious lassi anytime. Wow recipe.
Wow, what a gorgeous and flavorful lassi this is. Never tries coconut in lassi and this sounds absolutely decadent. Love your clicks.
Never tried coconut lassi but I love tender coconut and can imagine how flavorful it must be ! Perfect summer treat!
Tender coconut is one of my favourite…During every India visit we hydrate ourselves only with coconut water…and the joy of eating the tender coconut after that is next level! Not sure if I can even wait to make lassi…I love eating it with sugar! I have never tried lassi though! We do make a kheer! Next time I will try lassi for sure!
Coconut lassi looks so creamy and absolutely refreshing. I would definitely want to have a glass of this delicious lassi on a hot summer day.
Wow coconut lassi looks totally inviting sasmita! Love how you have served it! A perfect refreshing drink for this summer!
Never had coconut lassi. This is something new to me but looks yum. I loved how you added coconut chips.