Indian traditional spiral shaped crunchy sweet prepared INSTANTLY
Jalebi or Jilapi is one of the most popular desserts from the Indian subcontinent. Whether it is a wedding, celebration, or festival this sweet makes its own appearance like other Indian sweets. One can get this sweet in any part of Indian, either in street foods or even in sweet shops.
Well, jalebi is spiral-shaped sweet which is crisp, crunchy from the outside, and juicy from inside. The jalebi can be prepared in two ways.
- Fermentation method – A batter is prepared using all-purpose flour and water. hen it is kept overnight to ferment well and a sour taste comes in the batter. No curd is used here. This is method is the traditional one to make jalebi.
- Instant method – Instant means no fermentation is required here. The sour taste in the jalebi is achieved by using some sour curd. When one is carving for some hot or warm jalebi, then this instant method comes to the rescue 😉 without waiting for the fermentation period.
Today’s recipe is all details about making jalebi INSTANTLY.
Serving suggestion –
Jalebi is often had simply as it is or sometimes also along with some rabri. In Gujarat, fafda and jalebi is a popular combination. Also in Indore city of MP, it is served with Indori poha. Well, whatever the side element jalebi tastes great when served either hot or warm.
Event-related to this post :
Well, the November month challenge in the ‘Shhhhh Cooking Secretly Challenge‘ group was ‘Warm Desserts’. The theme was suggested by Rafeeda, who has a wonderful blog where she shares her culinary journey. Well for the current theme, I was partnered with Seema who gave me 2 secret ingredients as Turmeric Powder & Yogurt and I gave her Cardamom & Carrot. Do check this Purple Carrot Halwa prepared by her 😊 And as usual, using my two ingredients I have come up with Instant Jalebi for theme contribution.
And, yes !!!
If you like the recipe shared here and give it a try at your place then do share in INSTAGRAM by tagging #firsttimercook. I would be so happy to see and surely share in my INSTA stories 😊😊
Now let’s go through how to make “Instant Jalebi” at home 👇
: Recipe Card :
yogurt, maida, warm sweet, instant dessert, no food color, no yeast, no fermentation
dessert, indian sweet, vegetarian, deep frying, festive delight
Instant Jalebi (no food color, no yeast, no fermentation)
Indian traditional spiral shaped crunchy sweet prepared INSTANTLY
Prep time: 10 MinCook time: 30 MinTotal time: 40 Min
For jalebi batter –
- All-purpose flour (Maida) 1 cup
- Yogurt (dahi) 3/4 cup
- Turmeric powder 1 pinch
- Water 7-8 tbsp
- Baking soda 1 pinch
For sugar syrup –
- Sugar 1.5 cup
- Water 1.5 cup
- Saffron strand 9-10 no.
- Cardamom powder 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice 2 tsp
For deep frying –
- Ghee 1 tbsp
- Oil for deep frying
Prepare jalebi batter –
- In a mixing bowl take all-purpose flour, turmeric powder, yogurt and mix well.
- Next, add 7-8 tbsp of water little by little and whisk very well for 8-10 minutes.
- The batter consistency should be neither thick nor thin.
- Cover the batter and keep aside.
Prepare sugar syrup –
- Mix sugar and water in a pan.
- Allow the mixture to get a boil and the sugar melts well.
- Once it comes to a boil, add cardamom powder and saffron strands.
- Let it simmer till the syrup becomes sticky.
- Turn off heat just before one string consistency.
- Immediately add the lemon juice and give a nice mix.
- Keep aside.
Make the jalebi –
- In a frying pan, pour oil till 1 inch filled.
- Next, add 1 tbsp ghee and turn on heat over low-medium.
- Meanwhile, take out the cover from the batter bowl and add 1 pinch of baking soda.
- Give a gentle mix and pour the batter either into a squeezing bottle or piping bag (after pouring into piping bag cut the tip either small or medium, accordingly the jalebi spirals will be formed).
- To check whether the oil is ready to deep fry the jalebi or not, simply add a drop of batter into the hot oil. If it comes immediately on the surface of the oil, then the oil is ready.
- Now squeeze the bottle or piping bag into the hot oil in a circular direction to get a spiral shape.
- Similarly make 2-3 more spirals, depending upon the size of the frying pan without overcrowding the pan.
- Using a tong, flip each jalebi to fry evenly.
- Do this above step till jalebis look light golden in color and crisp texture.
- Take out from the oil and immediately put the jalebis into the warm sugar syrup.
- Keep in the syrup for around 20-30 seconds, flipping in between.
- Transfer the jalebis to a plate and similarly make more jalebis from the rest batter.
- Serve the jalebis warm or hot!
Lime juice is added to prevent crystallization on top of the sugar syrup. It does not affect the taste of the syrup.
Yogurt should be at room temperature and little sour which gives the traditional sour taste in the jalebis.
The batter consistency should be neither thick nor thin.
To check whether the oil is ready to deep fry the jalebi or not, simply add a drop of batter into the hot oil. If it comes immediately on the surface of the oil, then the oil is ready to fry the jalebis.
Instead of turmeric powder and saffron, yellow or orange food color can opt.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag@firsttimercookon instagram and hashtag it#firsttimercook
Created using The Recipes Generator
You may also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube and can subscribe for free to get new recipes directly into your inbox 😊
PIN for Later :
Love how perfectly the jalebis have turned out! So inviting!
All of us at home are big fans of hot jalebis. I don't make them often enough as the whole process of fermenting the batter and then frying them is so tedious. Now with your recipe for the instant version, I can make them more often. 😀
Jalebis are just perfect treats on special occasions. I love the color of your jalebis and the way they have turned out so perfectly. Instant recipes are a blessings at times.
Jalebit are always delicious for any time, especially hot crispy ones along with some cold ice cream. This looks exactly like that! Beautifully made too…
Wow Sasmita, such a pretty looking jalebi. Best part is that you've not used artificial food coloring. I've yet to try making jalebi at home. Booking marking your recipe to try out the Instant Jalebi.
Jalebis look perfect crisp and liked it a lot especially because it is yeast free or does not need any fermentation. Something quick and enjoyed by all
Jalebis have come out so nice and perfect. Nothing like a garma garam home made jalebi. Awesome
Jalebi's looks very delicious with perfect texture and color. My mother in law always prepare these jalebi's at home. Explained recipe very clearly , tips are very useful.
So well explained recipe. One can make jalebi for sudden craving. Your jalebi looks so perfect. I will surely try and let you know. I wish I could grab one from the picture.
I simply loved your instant jalebi recipe. They looks so irresistible and crispy. The best is no more waiting to have hot jalebi. Thanks for the recipe.
Instant Jalebis are so perfectly done. I love jalebis and this recipe is handy as it can be instantly.Beautifully done Sasmita.
Perfectly made jalebis are an art. Love the beautifully made jalebis. Mine are more like squiqqles. Instant jalebi is new to me. Must try.
Your Jalebis have turned out perfect and they look so crisp and juicy. The shape is also perfect. Love the props and photography.
Jalebi looks so delicious, crispy and tempting. Love the perfect swirls you have made and beautiful presentation
Wow, the jelabis are like glass. Look so pretty and hard to resist. The craving for these are at its highest now!
Wonderful share of making Jalebis at home.. no food color and no other fuss. Really a quick and easy way to enjoy the traditional sweet treat at home. Beautiful capture as always.